Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Battling Barry Aspinell

When I became a council group leader back in the 90s, one of the first things I did was to visit the Brentwood Lib Dems to learn how they did things. I learned a lot in one evening, and incidentally met Barry Aspinell.

He's still battling away, and has been involved in a difficult social work issue that seems to have been upsetting for all concerned and devastating for the parents involved. It's highlighted here in the Daily Mail.

I don't know all the details on this case, so it would be foolish for me to comment on the rights and wrongs of it. Essex County Council put their point of view here.

But what I can say is that it's important for councillors to remember that they are there to be the residents' representative to the council - not the council's representative to the people. It's clear that Barry Aspinell hasn't forgotten that.

No comments:

Chris expresses his own views on this weblog.


I write this blog in a private capacity , but just in case I mention any elections here is a Legal Statement for the purposes of complying with electoral law: This website is published and promoted by Ron Oatham, 8 Brixham Close , Rayleigh Essex on behalf of Liberal Democrat Candidates all at 8 Brixham Close.