Sunday, April 15, 2007

I Hereby Declare That The Following Person Is Approximately Elected.

I happened to be looking at the 2006 election results for Hull City Council, from the council's own webpage. The result for Marfleet Ward caught my eye. It's a clear Labour victory, with us in second, but look at the Conservative "result":

Marfleet

Name of candidate Description Result

ABBOTT John Francis Conservative and Unionist Party 217 approx
CHAYTOR Sean Labour Party 1023
MATTHEWS Joseph Allen Liberal Democrat 452
Total number of votes: 1692


How the blazes can John Francis Abbott get approx 217 votes? And what if he'd got approx 1024 votes? I can only guess this was to do with a disputed spoilt ballot paper, but has anybody else ever seen an 'approx' result?

No comments:

Chris expresses his own views on this weblog.


I write this blog in a private capacity , but just in case I mention any elections here is a Legal Statement for the purposes of complying with electoral law: This website is published and promoted by Ron Oatham, 8 Brixham Close , Rayleigh Essex on behalf of Liberal Democrat Candidates all at 8 Brixham Close.