Sunday, April 22, 2007

Remembering Virginia

One of my blogging acquaintances has asked me for a synopsis of the media coverage of the Virginia shootings in the UK.

I'm afraid to say that for various reasons the last week has been a bit of a blur, and I really only followed what happened by radio and the net - no TV, didn't read much in the way of newspapers.

But the immediate coverage that I heard on BBC Five Live was pretty comprehensive and struck the right notes. There was a moment when one of the BBC presenters (I think it was Anita Anand ) was interviewing one of the female student survivors - when the interviewee mentioned that she had just heard that one of her missing friends had been killed , she wept live on air - a very raw radio moment, but handled reasonably well by the interviewer.

As an aside, I'm a big fan of after midnight Radio 2 (music) and Radio 5 Live (news and sport). Americans might enjoy listening over the net to Up All Night, Janice Long and Alex Lester

But somehow I don't think that this terrible event has had as much impact as the previous mass killings that we've heard about in the past - and I don't think that the Boomtown Rats or anyone else will be writing a song this time. Sadly, such events have occurred just too many times.

No comments:

Chris expresses his own views on this weblog.


I write this blog in a private capacity , but just in case I mention any elections here is a Legal Statement for the purposes of complying with electoral law: This website is published and promoted by Ron Oatham, 8 Brixham Close , Rayleigh Essex on behalf of Liberal Democrat Candidates all at 8 Brixham Close.