Saturday, December 17, 2005

And They Need Us More Than Want Us

I don't want to comment yet about the Lib Dem leadership.

Apart from anything else I'm probably one of the least-informed of any of the bloggers on this issue - I think I've only ever met one of the current Lib Dem MPs, and that was Andrew Stunnel about 15 years in a pub in Somerset (the first Liberal MP I met was Clement Freud in Rayleigh in about 1972!) At the moment I'm taking particular notice of what James Graham and Jonathan Calder are saying.

However I've had two thoughts. One is that I've seen a lot of anti-Lib Dem bile this week - for example in the Daily Mail , and some comments on the Guido Fawkes website. There are some people out there who really hate the Lib Dems, and don't want us to exist.

But we do exist, and we have such a large wedge of MPs - and public support - that Cameron is making it his first immediate priority to woo us over. He needs us desperately.

Glen Campbell's Wichita Lineman comes to mind:

"And I need you more than want you
And I want you for all time until the next election "

2 comments:

Peter Pigeon said...

Good post, Chris!

Stephen Glenn said...

Well said Chris. As for those people who really hate us and don't want us to exist remind of load of Scotish football posters who say the same about Livingston FC. They just like seeing sucess they consider thier by right going somewhere else.

I just keep pointing out we're there on merit and looking to improve all the time. Very much like our party really.

Chris expresses his own views on this weblog.


I write this blog in a private capacity , but just in case I mention any elections here is a Legal Statement for the purposes of complying with electoral law: This website is published and promoted by Ron Oatham, 8 Brixham Close , Rayleigh Essex on behalf of Liberal Democrat Candidates all at 8 Brixham Close.